The Complex Path to Canadian Independence

TLDR The process of Canada gaining independence was a gradual one, starting with the Union Act in 1840 and culminating in the passing of the Canada Act in 1982. While Canada became 99% independent, the remaining 1% is due to the symbolic ties to Britain through the monarchy.

Timestamped Summary

00:00 Trying to determine the date of Canada's independence is much more complicated and spans a longer period of time than the United States.
01:20 The first step towards Canadian independence was the passage of the Union Act in 1840, which merged the colonies of Upper Canada and Lower Canada into the province of Canada.
02:39 The next big step in Canadian independence occurred on July 1, 1867, with the passage of the British North America Act, which established the Dominion of Canada.
03:52 The creation of the Dominion of Canada allowed for greater autonomy, but ultimate control still remained with the British Parliament.
05:04 Canada gained international recognition in the 20th century, with the Balfour Declaration of 1926 establishing equal status with the United Kingdom and the 1931 Statute of Westminster codifying this status, which was further solidified with the Canada Act in 1982.
06:20 Canada became 99% independent with the passing of the Canada Act in 1982, but the remaining 1% is due to the fact that Canada's head of state, the Queen of Canada, does not live in the country.
07:33 Canada's ties to Britain are mostly symbolic, as the monarchy is the only vestigial thing that still connects the two countries, and while there is a small Republican movement in Canada, most Canadians don't seem to care about the issue of independence.
Categories: History Education

Browse more History